Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fancy Chair Rail......



 We decided to try our hand at chair rail in the upstairs hallway, going down the stairs case wall and into the foyer, We finished the upstairs, just needs a second coat of paint. We are not finished with the project as we are going to continue with the shadow boxes underneath the chair rail, but that takes some more time mapping  out where exactly all these boxes go and what angle to put them going down the staircase wall... more pics to come as we finished the project .. its pretty inexpensive. We ordered everything on line from Home Depot. It looks like the chair rail that Ryan put up for is in the dining room , except for an extra piece on the bottom to "bump" it up a bit!!My soon to be hubby is pretty amazing with carpentry even though he is an engineer !! Check out the pics!! All the credit goes to him , since I was just the painter in this project lol!!! if anyone has pictures of molding and shadow boxes going down the staircase wall, please share so we have an idea how to angle the boxes !!! Thanks !!

12 comments:

  1. Nice, great job guys! Weve barely touched the 2nd floor but thats coming as well. And yes shadow box trim does require some calculating. A good tip that we received from a carpenter is to use some 3" baseboard as a gauge for the outer borders to maintain consistent spacing, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! We saw chair railing up a staircase in a model we visited, but were told it was a non-standard request. Definitely something we want to do afterwards.

    Thanks for blogging. I noticed a number of bloggers disappear once they close and are all moved in. We love all these home improvement ideas from those that continue blogging. I've already shown my wife your bathroom window treatments and now I can show her this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww shucks, GO ROGER AND DONNA! It looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! That looks exactly like the RH molding! I can't wait to see how you do the stairs - we may steal your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! We are going to do that also so it is good to see you doing it!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have that and had it done after the move in, it looks great. I love it except for the dusting :: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm...i think i will hire a maid!! The bigger the house the more to clean!! lol I know when I start working I will hire a maid!

      Delete
    2. I watch my grandson so am gone all week. I do a level a day and spread out some of the chores. I actually like to clean....but checked into cleaning services. It's more than we can afford especially considering how much we ourselves keep up. It would be nice to have the break now and then!

      Delete
  7. Love it! It looks very customer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome! Thank you for sharing.

    Good to know Home Depot sells trim that matches what Ryan uses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I want to do the same in my hallway upstair

    ReplyDelete